Monday, February 9, 2009

Top 10 Grammy Moments


As with any awards show, the Grammys were boring and obviously had no great scriptwriters (i.e., Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's bad joke moment). However, there were a few moments and interesting performances that caught my attention.

1) Jonas Brothers with Stevie Wonder- I know there are a lot of people out there who do not like the Jonas Brothers, but if they were able to get a legend like Stevie Wonder to bless them with his presence, then they have to be pretty good! I, on the other hand loved it, especially hearing Stevie sing "Burning Up!" The only problem I had was when Nick messed up the lyrics to "Superstition." Otherwise, the performance was rocking!

2) The Night of the Underdogs- Adele beat out Jazmine Sullivan and the Jonas Brothers for Best New Artists, Robert Plant (from Led Zepplin) and Allison Kraus (love their song "Gone, Gone, Gone) beat out top artists for Record of the Year and Album of the Year and John Mayer beat Ne-Yo and Jason Mraz (I thought he should have won) for Male Pop Vocal Performance. It just goes to show you that the Grammys do care for the best quality music out there!

3) Blink-182 are BACK!!!!!- Right after Jonas Brother's performance, all three of the members, Tom, Mark and Travis (with his broken arm from the plane crash) announced they were getting back together! I am so happy because I was pissed when they broke up and did separate projects. Big smile on my face!!!

4) The Great Jennifer Hudson- After doing a great rendition of the "Star-Spangled Banner" at the Superbowl, Hudson topped that performance with her song "You Pull Me Through." Not only that, but she beat out other RnB artists to win the Best RnB Album. What I love about Jennifer is that no matter what she goes through, she come back with style and grace, which she showed in her acceptance speech. Keep doing your thing, girl!

5) Al Green= Thumbs Up, Justin Timberlake= Thumbs Down- This performance had me on the fence. I love Al Green and as usual he sounded great singing "Let's Stay Together," but as soon as Justin Timberlake opened his mouth, it ruined the performance for me. His nasally voice just does not work for that very soulful song. He should have left the singing to Al. As my music teacher said it was like a boy trying to keep up with a man. It just did not compare. However, seeing Keith Urban and Boys 2 Men there made me feel a little better.

6) M.I.A. : Big Belly Woman- I love M.I.A., so I thought it was great that she was performing "Swagger Like Us" with four Hip-hop stars. However, I did not know she was pregnant and even worse on her due date. It was amazing that she was even there to do that performance! Go, M.I.A.!!! Still, next time I would not suggest wearing that polka-dot maternity outfit! It hurt my eyes!

7) The "Mount Rushmore" Hip-hop performance- Seeing T.I., Lil' Wayne, Jay-Z and Kanye West together on stage was one of the highlights of my evening!

8) Whitney Houston "Crack is BacK" moment- Seriously, was she high? She wobbled on stage and showed some leg like a "crackwhore!" No offense, I love Whitney, but I think she snorted something before she got on stage!

9) Hit and Run- Wondering why two performers, Chris Brown and Rihanna, were not there. Well, supposedly Chris got into a fight with a woman and was arrested for assault charges, while Rihanna checked into the Cedars-Sinai Hospital. The news initially did not say Rihanna was the victim, but you can put two and two together. OMG, I did not know Chris Brown had that in him! His likeness factor with me has been cut in half!

10) A Beatle-Foo Fighter Collabo- David Grohl defintely gave the Beatles' song "I Saw Her Standing There" the extra kick it needed for the night. His wild drumming definitely made the performance more interesting than it probably would have been.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i agree with most everything, except i didnt think justin sounded that bad with Al Green. of course, it couldnt compare but given the circumstances, he did well. i heard they just threw the performance together out of nowhere to make up time for chris brown and rihanna not being there.