Saturday, July 4, 2009

"What's Going On:" News

What's Up! First, I am changing the name of the news feature, which is now called "What's Going On." Second, here are some bad and good news for today:

































Another magazine casualty due to the internet. The Hip-hop/R&B magazine, Vibe, has decided to go out of business. Created in 1992 by Quincy Jones and Time Warner, the magazine was at the top for providing a circulation that catered to the Hip-hop and R&B community. Basically, it was the Hip-hop version of the Rolling Stones magazine. Like many other magazines (e.g. Blender), however, Vibe was receiving less advertising than it did before, even though it had a strong 800,000 copies in circulation. Now, the only magazines that will cover Hip-hop are The Source, which is also having financial problems, and XXL, which I do not particularly like because it is a TNA magazine (basically boobs and butts). Hopefully, Quincy Jones can save the magazine, as he came out recently to say that he might buy it. He hopes to make it into an online magazine, saying "They just messed my magazine all up, but I'm gonna get it back. You better believe it, Imma take it online because print and all that stuff is over." I guess there is a light at the end of the tunnel and a future for us music journalists.

Time for the good news....


If you remember, months ago I did a review on the off-Broadway musical Fela, about Fela Kuti, a Nigerian musician and activist. Well, it has official been put on the show's website that in the Fall of 2009, it is coming to Broadway! According to the NY Times, a preview will be on October 19 and the opening night will be on November 23. The musical was fantastic the first time I saw it and I have a feeling it will be bigger and better now. So, when it comes again, I am seeing it again, and if you want more information, read my review and check out the website listed at the side of the page.

Sources: BET, NY Times

No comments: