Monday, July 20, 2009

"Brand New Flava In Your Ear"

Take some steps towards your computer, click play and listen to some new music!

1) All American Rejects - I Wanna

I like AAR, but what possessed them to record let alone release it as a single. The song is incredibly cheezy, both the lyrics and the music. They sound like a really corny boy band! "I Wanna" definitely will not be one of their hits, no matter how much they want it to.



Official Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQpZzffrfh8

2) KRS-One and Buckshot - Robot

Let it be KRS-One to be honest about the current state of our industry. We have people who cannot rap (e.g. Soulja Boy) and cannot sing, and yet they are still rewarded and celebrated. So much of music today is unoriginal or it does not sound real, and these two rappers make it clear. Stop treating music as if it is some kind of fad or trend that has to be copied to make money! I could not have said it better myself and it has a beat that you cannot get out of your head!

P.S. It is funny how at the end it is called the official D.O.A. (watch your back, Jay-Z).



3) P.O.S. - Purexed

Sticking to the topic of original...all I have to say is great song and creative video! Hip-hop that makes you think. Just listen to it for yourself.



4) Letoya Luckett - She Ain't Got

A good party song, but it is not memorable. Her first single was better (check out last B.N.F.Y.E.)



5) Josh Xantus - First Time

Beautiful, romantic, sweet and a bit "in your face!" Some of those lyrics are like woah!



6) 9th Wonder Presents Tyler Woods - I Don't Need to Prove Myself

Great song to groove to! I am getting a 70s smooth soul and funk vibe from this guy, which I am loving. FYI: This is a cover of The Sylvers song "I Don't Need to Prove Myself."



7) Persia White - Strange Fruit

Persia (from the show Girlfriends) and her trip-hop cover of Billie Holliday's "Strange Fruit." I love Persia, and I love the original song, but this version is a little much. However, it does have its moments and I am slowly getting used to it.



8) Brittany Boscoe - Blues for Blue/ Black and White

I love the jazzy feeling to both songs, eerie yet beautiful. Brittany's sound is a mix between Billie Holiday and Sarah Vaughn, two great Jazz legends.



9) Choklate- Sun's Out/ Grown Folks

Uplifitng and a great song to wake up to! One of the reasons I love neo-soul and soul music! Check out Michael Jamal Warner in the video:



10) Beyonce - Sweet Dreams

Beyonce is starting to get on my nerves! Is it just me or is every video that she has put out so far on this album an extension of the last video! Come up with something new! Even worse, the video made no sense! But then again, it is called "Sweet Dreams." Now as for the song (which is obviously about Jay), it is catchy and has an 80s (or early 90s) techno feel, but actually it only has a few memorable parts.



11) Eminem- Beautiful

I have not felt true emotion from Eminem since "Stan" and this song does have it. Plus it is a positive contrast from his celebrity bashing song and video, "We Made You." However, the song is not really musically appealing to my ears. Sorry, try again, Em!




12) Leela James - Baby I'm Scared of You

A remake of the classic Womack and Womack song and it sounds as good as the orginal! Leela James is so smooth, sultry and aunthentic!



13) Slakah the Beatchild - Enjoy Ya Self

Another uplifting and positive song about how great the music from the past was and still is. I hope Slakah can be the future because he is good!

No comments: