Friday, May 22, 2009

"Brand New Flava In Your Ear"

Thirteen dollars on ITunes of new songs, just for you all:

1) Melanie Fiona - Give it to Me Right

Sampling the Zombies' song "Time of the Season," the bass and beat of the music accentuates her sultry voice. It is incredibly sexy and I am betting no man would say no to her after hearing this.



2) The Airborne Toxic Event- Sometime Around Midnight

The violin intro and the acoustic arrangement are beautiful on this song; it reminds me of Phantom of the Opera. Mikel, the lead singer, has a voice that is reminiscent of other baritones Leonard Cohen, Ian Curtis from Joy Division, and Adam Bravin from She Wants Revenge. His voice along with the music creates an eerie but beautiful song. Don't we all just love tragic love songs?



3) Asher Roth ft. Cee-lo - Be By Myself

When Asher Roth came out with "I Love College," I admit that I was thinking, "Why is this corny, suburban white boy trying to be a rapper; he is garbage." Then I heard some of his other stuff and quickly changed my mind. This song shows Asher's cleverness as a rapper and having Cee-lo on his record makes it so much better. I just do not get why there has to be half-naked women in the video, especially when the guys around her are covered from head to toe.



4) Rob Thomas - Her Diamonds

The song is ok and his voice is great, but the song sounds like the songs he had on his first solo album (i.e. "Lonely No More"). I think it is time that he goes back to Matchbox Twenty.



5) Cold War Kids - I've Seen Enough

I fell in love with this band the moment I heard this song. Their music brings me back to the rock music of the late 60s (Velvet Underground), 70s (Led Zepellin) and 80s (U2, Police). The group has a nice psychadelic feel to them.



6) Madcon - Beggin'

Listened to it once and I was hooked. I could dance all day to this song and I cracked up at the references to Halo and 70s films. The duo's style and talent definitely makes up for their ugliness. I know, OUCH!



7) All American Rejects- Wind Blows

AAR just keep getting better! "Wind Blows" has an 80s New Wave style. It is one of their few songs that I actually want to cry to. Plus, Tyson is so handsome with his long hair, leading man material.



Official Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xepMH7-yfk

8) Adele - Hometown Glory

Speaking of crying...I heard this song a few months ago and hearing it again reminded me of why I loved it. The songs makes me proud to be from my hometown and not to take it for granted.



9) Leela James - It's a Man's World

Great rendition of such a classic song and it is interesting to hear it from a female perspective, particularly a strong female like Leela James. I just wish she would go back to her beautiful natural hair.



10) Sy Smith - Fly Away With Me

Another Neo-Soul princess that reassures me that everything in the natural world from hair to the animals to nature itself to music is beautiful. This song puts me in a relaxing mood and I want to feel that way when I fall in love ... (Sigh) Someday.



11) Anthony Hamilton - Point of it All

Taking it back to the smooth soul of the 70s and 80s, Anthony Hamilton's song is so touching and sweet. Mr. Hamilton representing for all the strong, sensitive black men out there and yes, they exist!



12) Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow

Great party song because of the beat, but nothing else special about it. Also, the video is kind of wack (sorry to use old slang).



13) Stevie Wonder - All About the Love Again

To keep it simple as the song and video are,the song is cute, sweet and all about love!

No comments: