Thursday, June 2, 2011

Freakin' It: Betty Davis Retrospective at Schomburg


Hello, everybody! Sorry I have been missing in action for a while, but this semester was really hectic. But I am back and also with a new blog, Futuristically Ancient. Go check it out! I will be cross-posting that blog with this one. This one of the first posts:

Let's talk about Betty Davis. I know I should have posted this in March, but as you know school distracted me until now. But better late than never, right? Betty Davis is one of my favorite artists and when I heard about the concert on March 7th at the Schomburg Center, I jumped at the chance to go. Even better, my class happened to be canceled that day, so I didn't have to skip (Lucky me!).

As part of the Black Rock Coalition's spring music tributes, the lineup for the night included Tamar-Kali, KimberlyNichole, Joi, N'Dambi, Nucomme, and Alkebulan. The band included guitarists and singers Kat Dyson and Jerome Jordan. This was one of the best concerts I had attended; it was a beautiful tribute to a woman who has inspired many and receives little attention. The entire band sounded amazing and after a while I did not even care that the singers were reading the lyrics on the stands. All the performances were fierce, but the two singers who were the most fiery were Tamar-Kali, who was the co-musical director with Victor Axelrod (keyboard), and KimberlyNichole.

And for those of you who do like these performances, this saturday the Black Rock Coalition Orchestra is doing a tribute at the Schomburg Center to another singer I love, Sam Cooke. Just click on his name to buy tickets. Enjoy!

Here is Tamar-Kali, KimberlyNichole and Kat Dyson performing "Game Is My Middle Name"


"Game is My Middle Name" featuring Tamar-kali from Bill Bryant on Vimeo.


KimbelyNichole performing "If I'm In Luck, I Just Might Get Picked Up"

"If I'm Lucky I Might Get Picked Up" featuring Kimberly Nichole from Bill Bryant on Vimeo.


Tamar-Kali performing "When Romance Says GoodBye"

"When Romance Says Goodbye" featuring Tamar-kali from Bill Bryant on Vimeo.


Joi, N'Dambi and Tamar-Kali performing "Steppin' in Her I. Miller Shoes"

"Steppin' In Her I. Miller Shoes" featuring Tamar-kali, N'dambi & Joi from Bill Bryant on Vimeo.


Joi performing "Nasty Gal"

"Nasty Gal" featuring Joi from Bill Bryant on Vimeo.

No comments: