Monday, August 23, 2010

Click-It Concert Tribute: Abbey Lincoln


On August 14th, 2010, we lost another one of the greats, Abbey Lincoln (original name was Anna Marie Wooldridge and later Aminata Moseka). I found out about Ms. Lincoln last year while looking for famous people born in August (her birthdate is one day before mine). Literally, I just stumbled upon her and decided to give her a listen. The first songs I heard from her was from her collaboration with Max Roach 5 on the Freedom Now Suite and I instantly fell in love with her. Besides her music career, when I found out about her as a songwriter, as an actress and as an activist, I was so much more impressed with her. She was a true freedom fighter for black people all over the world and as several people have said that is what made her dangerous (even to the point she exiled herself from the US for a few years for her political beliefs). I am saddened by the thought that I will never see Abbey Lincoln in person, but I am happy that we have her music and life story still with us. Here's a quote from Abbey that speaks to me about the importance of art:

”How can you have a career and never say anything? To experience it all and not say a word, you're supposed to stand up and speak your mind in the music. Some people like to hear some reality. I'm not trying to save or fix the world. I'm just singing about my experiences. My songs are observations.”


People in Me



Freedom Day


Freedom Now Suite: Driva-Man & Tears for Johannessburg/Prayer & Peace/All Africa/Freedom Day





When I'm Called Home



Afro-Blue



Africa



And It's Suppose to Be Love



Spread the Word (From The Girl Can't Help It)



You Came a Long Way from St. Louis



Throw It Away



"You Can Never Lose a Thing If It Belongs to You"

RIP Abbey

1 comment:

Sabbio said...

Yes, I discovered her when she passed away... a wonderful strong singer and woman! And what a beauty too!

And I admire her and her ex-husband implication, activism in the Civil Rights movement!