This is what I am calling "Reese's Music Notes," which are thoughts that I have about music at the moment.
Today's discussion has to do with people out there who judge types of music without giving it a chance.
I am the type of person who loves music in general. I like to call myself a "true music lover." If it sounds good, I'll listen to it because I have no preconceived ideas about the music.
However, there are people who do automatically have these ideas. My friends, Bani and Shao, and I had this discussion the other day.
I believe there are three types of people:
1) Younger generations who refuse to listen to older music
2)Older generations that refuse to listen to younger music
3) People who tend to listen to one genre of music in general
First, let me say music is music. Obviously there is good music and there is bad music. But there is no such thing as bad types of music. Unless you're talking about Mongolian throat music. Now that's just creepy.
So here is my judgment on those three types of people:
1) To my generation, older music is great. There is a reason it is called classics and oldies but goodies. The music is timeless. Without that music, we wouldn't have a lot of the music we have today (hint: many songs use samples from or are influenced by older artists). And sometimes I feel it is better than some of the trash music we have today. I find it completely ignorant when a young person does not want to listen to older music because it was made "40-50 years ago." So what! Stop being stupid! Your brain will not fry if you listen to it!
2) To the generations before us, you could stand to be a little bit more open-minded, too. The world keeps changing and so does music. You remember decades ago when Rock 'N' Roll came to be and your parents said it was not music. So, don't do it to us! No matter what you say, it will still be music. So, stop putting down styles of music, like Hip-hop. Just think about it, it is like poetry with music put to it. They did it during the Greek times and they're still doing it now!
3) Last but not least, one-genre wonders! The people who refuse to listen to other types of music for a number of reasons (for example, I'm from the ghetto, so I can't listen to Celine Dion). You can listen to whatever you want and music is universal; it doesn't matter who you are. It is important to be eclectic and well-rounded when it comes to music, especially if you're a musician. I listen to all types of music from Hip-hop to Pop to Japanese Reggae to Russian gypsies (Gogol Bordello rocks!) to Broadway showtunes to Swing to Classical music. I love a lot of things!
So that's my commentary and basically outlines what my blog will be about. You will not just get mainstream music from this generation. There will be music from the past, the present and everywhere around us. So, open your ears and take a listen.